Forbidden Dimension

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Wed Mar 24 23:39:18 EST 1999

Stephen Swann wrote:

> Here's an idea for a stupid contest that will generate probably lots
> of totally unnecessary email: What's the most obscure release that you
> think we should all own a copy of?  I mean, I'm not talking about a
> band that *you* love to death, I mean a band that you honestly think
> that lots of people on BOC-L would like, if only they could hear them?
>
> I'll live to regret this one, I just know it.
>
> Steve
> swann at plutonia.com

     I would have to cast a vote for a Calgary based band called
Forbidden Dimension. Though only a local group, they have seemed to
attract quite the following around these parts. I fist saw them here in
Saskatoon back in '97, where they did a sorta gothic/punk/rock style.
They also have a very interesting lyrical style, very 50's, 60's, 70's
horror movie influenced. In the past few years I have attained all three
CD's, and can honestly say there material is some of THEE best I have
ever heard. Even after hearing them perform two great versions of
"Stairway to the Stars" and "M.E.262" when they played here, I can say
with all honesty that this review is 100% unbiased :-). The BÖC
influence is apparent lyrically, with songs about vampires, Altamont,
darker conspiracies etc., and they present these premises with both
humor and intelligence. The song writing is full of very catchy
arrangements (in my opinion), with a few select tracks of instrumentals,
where Jackson Phibes (lead Guitar) plays a quite cool 1960ish sounding
organ. But the FD have a signature both musically and lyrically,
definitely carving out their own musical path, a rare commodity these
days, can say with all honest these guys would never win a Juno or an
American Music award (I have built up tension, I know:-)). Everyone on
this list seems to love music allot, AND require a lot out of the music
they listen to (don't I butter up good;-)), so I can say with 100%
assurance most of ya (I'm thinkin' 90%) will dig Forbidden Dimension as
much as I do, here's a few lyrics I really em diggin' right now:

>From "Big Black Hearse"

"I quite my job at the parlor man that business sure was dead, shot my
boss, stole the hearse, and down the road I fled. While I stole a
lonesome honey, I got her heart in my hand."

"you see my big black hearse a'rollin', goddamn that highway sure is
long,
The iron tongue of midnight tolls out it's lonesome song, Well I could
be dyin' easy, but dyin' easy ain't my plan! This ain't no peaceful easy
feelin' when a fiend like me is always on the lamb... but I ain't no
sheep..."

And the quite excellent chorus from a song called "Annabel", a song
about a vampire, probably one of the best lyrics I have ever heard, well
judge your self;

"In eternal, loving memory of Annabel, your tears stain, the soil where
she lay, born to moonlight, back in 1857, because some jerk, had to go
and walk across her grave. When twilight fell, in the devils play she
took her part, she played it well until I staked my love in her heart"

   For all your Forbidden Dimension needs go to:

http://plaza.powersurfr.com/Forbidden_Dimension/

   Check this band out, you WILL NOT be sorry, TTFN.

Laj.