OFF: Steve's Box

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Thu Mar 25 10:46:14 EST 1999

>Here's an idea for a stupid contest that will generate probably lots
of totally unnecessary email: What's the most obscure release that you
think we should all own a copy of?  I mean, I'm not talking about a
band that *you* love to death, I mean a band that you honestly think
that lots of people on BOC-L would like, if only they could hear them?

I'll live to regret this one, I just know it.

Steve
swann at plutonia.com

Give yourself some credit there Mr. Swann, this sounds like a most useful
exercise (certainly better than 10 loves/10 hates).  Try as I might I cannot
narrow it down to one, so with your indulgence I will list three.
Ahem....ready

Shadow Gallery, Tyranny (Magna Carta Label) - Third album from Penn. Prog
Rockers.  "Tyranny is a concept album for the end of the millenium,
introspective lyrics complement music filled with layers of guitars and
keyboards."  Heavy progressive style often compared to Queensryche and Dream
Theater.  Vocals on this one are outstanding.

Threshold - Wounded Land (Giant Electric Pea - US) - Awesome European prog
rockers, this debut concept album (at least to us Americano's) is indicative
of the heavy progressive rock movement.  Masterful piece highly recommended
to fans of Dream Theater and Fates Warning.

Siagon Kick - Devil in the Details (CMC International) - Ooooo I bow down in
the direction of Jason Bieler.  Master guitar player/singer/songwriter.
This is one of the most diverse albums I have hever heard.  Combining
classic, modern progressive rock elements over a thinly disguised funk
groove.  No two songs are completely alike.  Lyrics range from introspective
to absolutely hilarious.  A Brain Surgeon cover song in the making, you
simply must hear Victoria.  The lush melodic Spanish Rain should never be
played without candle lights and your significant other.

Honorable mention - Masquerade - Surface of Pain, Threshold
-Psychedelicatessan, Platypus - When Pus Comes to Shove, Ty Tabor's -
Moonflower Lane.

Ghost in the Ruins
NP: Shadow Gallery - Tyranny