OFF: That one obscure album.../faves in general

Joseph Brooks Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET
Thu Mar 25 10:54:37 EST 1999

> vary here...  Next fun question being, why is it, exactly,
> that BOC and
> Hawkwind attract fans of so many different kinds of music?
> I'm not too
> familiar with Hawkwind, but BOC's music doesn't strike me as all THAT
> eclectic...
>
> SET

My guess is that, with BOC at least, having been around for what, 27 years?
- many of their fans are well past 30 years old. I'm about to hit 40.. Been
listening to  music avidly for 30 of those years and have gone through many
stages of likes & dislikes.. keeping what I consider to be the best from
each sub-genre I go through, thus when I list my favorite bands, you'll see
several different styles represented. If you had asked me when I was 18, it
would've been very different, definitely less varied.

I'm not a big Hawkwind fan either but they have been around for quite a
while as well.. (late 70's? Help me out here, Hawk people..) but with them I
think its just that they attract people who's musical taste does not tend to
the run-of-the-mill, music for the masses so there too you'll see more
unusual choices.

Finally, both bands attract fans that on average, I believe, are somewhat
more intelligent than your average (insert boring, MTV band here) fan and so
tend to listen to a wider variety rather than get stuck on a single band or
genre.

JB