OFF: That one obscure album.../faves in general

Brian Halligan bthalligan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 25 11:16:00 EST 1999

>From: Joseph Brooks <Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET>
>I'm not a big Hawkwind fan either but they have been around for quite a
>while as well.. (late 70's? Help me out here, Hawk people..)

Late '60s, actually.

>Finally, both bands attract fans that on average, I believe, are
somewhat
>more intelligent than your average (insert boring, MTV band here) fan
and so
>tend to listen to a wider variety rather than get stuck on a single
band or
>genre.

I used to agree with this, but I've found that so-called intelligent
people listen to all kinds of music.  Even boring MTV bands.  And many
of them believe that more intelligent people listen to *their* bands
than to other genres ("unmusical" rap, "pompous" prog, "juvenile" top
40, "sexist" heavy metal...)  I think the reason so many of us have a
wide variety of tastes is because we're *music* lovers.  Some people
only listen to one genre because that's all they care to listen to.
They feel they have better things to do than explore obscure music.
They may wonder why so many people watch Hollywood movies instead of
"superior" independent films.  Music is one of our main
interests/hobbies so we're constantly searching for great tunes no
matter where they're from.

Brian
obCD>The Olivia Tremor Control: "Black Foliage"