OFF: That one obscure album.../faves in general

Joseph Brooks Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET
Thu Mar 25 11:34:14 EST 1999

> >I'm not a big Hawkwind fan either but they have been around
> for quite a
> >while as well.. (late 70's? Help me out here, Hawk people..)
>
> Late '60s, actually.

Wow, I had no idea..

> I used to agree with this, but I've found that so-called intelligent
> people listen to all kinds of music.  Even boring MTV bands.  And many
> of them believe that more intelligent people listen to *their* bands
> than to other genres ("unmusical" rap, "pompous" prog, "juvenile" top
> 40, "sexist" heavy metal...)  I think the reason so many of us have a
> wide variety of tastes is because we're *music* lovers.  Some people
> only listen to one genre because that's all they care to listen to.
> They feel they have better things to do than explore obscure music.
> They may wonder why so many people watch Hollywood movies instead of
> "superior" independent films.  Music is one of our main
> interests/hobbies so we're constantly searching for great tunes no
> matter where they're from.

I'll buy that. My statement was a generalization to be sure. I know of
plenty people who I would deem "intelligent" who like horrible (IMO) music.
Maturity is also a factor. Musical taste is not an indication of
intelligence but I still think that in general, my statement holds true. Go
to an "unmusical rap" newsgroup or list (if such a thing exists) and read
the posts there. I'd wager that you'd see what I mean.

BTW, I can't stand most "independent" films and definitely don't consider
them to be "superior". :)

JB