OFF: Monster Magnet question

Thu Mar 25 11:50:04 EST 1999

On tor 25 mar 1999 11.05 -0500 "Hall, Russell J" <russell.j.hall at LMCO.COM>
wrote:
> I have been hearing "Space Lord" a lot on the local station (and liking
it),
> so I have decided to ad some to my collection; which album(s) should I
pick
> up by them?

     There are only four, and I like them all.  There is a
definite progression in level of production and commercial
appeal from earliest to latest.  _Spine of God_ is sludgely
lo-budget stuff of undisputed class, hailed by many as a
landmark album.  _Superjudge_ has perhaps more focused and
riff-driven songs, with the more-HW-than-HW "Dinosaur Vacumn",
a cover of "Brainstorm", and a cover of "Evil is Going On"
(ripped off from the Cactus arrangement, I believe).  _Dopes
to Infinity_ brought them to the edge of commercial success
and as markedly slicker production.  I love it, a lot of
old-timers felt they were selling out :)  This trend continues
with _Powertrip_, which has definitely brought commericial
success.

     There is also an old album or mini-album on the Glitterhouse
label, I think, as well as a "hyper-EP" nigh unto album length
called _25 ... Tab_, which features a epic-length one-riff track
drenched in every-kind of ridiculous effect.  Awesome :)

     If you like "Space Lord", then getting _Powertrip_ would
make sense!  If you like it, _Dopes_ will be similar in many
ways.  My favorite "compromise" MM album is _Superjudge_, which
I think is more consistent than _Spine_ but retains that
underground vibe for those as want it.  Though _Spine_ has
top-notch tracks like "Spine of God" itself and the cover
of "Sin's a Good Man's Brother".

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, & Celtic