BOC: Meltzer's POreView

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Mar 25 10:51:23 EST 1999

[snipage of Meltzer's review of Roseland]

I think someone mentioned this already, but since I had 1200 emails
waiting on my vacation return, I deleted a lot of great stuff...

Anyway, I see RM's review of the BOC gig to be aking to HS Thompson's
gonzo journalism:  he doesn't nec. tell the truth!  Little pieces of
truth will be in there, you just have to figure it out yourself.  I
see no reason to take offense at what RM writes, if we operate on the
assumption that he's doing it to get a reaction, or that he's
presenting a kind of postmodern approach to a concert review.
In other words, the truth isn't as important as his impression of it.

And while I'm as die-hard a BOC fan as John, I can't seem to be
bothered by what RM writes.  In fact I kind of like it.  As for his
implications that ALLen is in rehab, or that BD is divorcing, we need
to understand that he doesn't have any inside knowledge of the band
anymore to inform such an opinion, and that it's merely a statement.
Kind of like when Thompson says that Edmund Muskie was
taking adrenachrome during the '72 election campaign!  He would have
no way of backing up such an outrageous statement, and he knew full
well that Muskie couldn't be bothered suing him over it.  If BOC
tried suing RM, he'd simply say that he'd heard rumors to the effect,
etc.  Like HST, RM's writing itself is more important than the
veracity of his comments...

theo