ON (Calvert) & OFF (Robin Trower)

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Mar 25 12:23:35 EST 1999

> I first got into HW in the pre-Lemmy days with "ISOS" and as their sound
> changed in the 70's, I lost interest in them as they were losing their
> roots or so I naively thought.  It wasn't 'til about 1978 that I
> belatedly discovered the Charisma albums.  What hooked me was Calvert's
> word play on the Hawklords album, especially on Psi-Power and Flying
> Doctor (now there's an FCC-band drug refernce song).  I really liked the
> refernce to the old radio drama series I heard as a child updated and
> nicely paradied by Calvert.  Damnation Alley is also one of my faves -
> "Phoenix is fried up" - what a great line if you've ever been there!
> And of course there's the beatiful "QS&C" which appeals to us nerdy
> scientists.  How many have spotted the factual errors in that song?

QUARK, STRANGENESS AND CHARM
( - Brock - Calvert - )
>Einstein was not a handsome fellow
>Nobody ever called him Al
>He had a long moustache to pull on
>It was yellow
>I don't believe he ever had a girl

Einstein was married.

>One thing he missed out in his theory
>of time, space and relativity
>Is something that makes it very clear
>He was never gonna score like you'n'me
>He didn't know about Quark, Strangeness and Charm

Well he knew about quantum mechanics but believed it wrong, famously
quoting "God does not play dice with the universe" and positing what's
now known as the Einstein/Rosen/Podolsky thought experiment showing that
there'd need to be a beakdown in either causality or locality for
quantum mechanics to be consistent. In 1954 Bell showed that spin-paired
particles could in fact apparently pass information at greater than the
speed of light and therefore either causality or locality has to go.

>I had a dangerous liason
>To have been found out would've been a disgrace
>We had to rendezvous some days on
>The corner of an undiscovered place
>We got sick of chat chat chatter and the
>look upon everybody's face
>But all that does not anti-matter now
>We've found ourselves a black hole in space
>And we're talking about Quark, Strangeness and Charm

>Copernicus had those Renaissance ladies
>Crazy about his telescope
>And Galileo had a name that made his
>reputation higher than his hopes
>Did none of those astronomers discover
>While they were staring out into the dark
>That what a lady looks for in her lover
>is Charm, Strangeness and Quark.

Whereas I believe physicists are still looking for a naked bottom quark.

FoFP