ON (Calvert) & OFF (Robin Trower)

The Automind antisol at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 25 16:21:06 EST 1999

>From: M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>
>To: Multiple recipients of list BOC-L <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
>Subject: Re: ON (Calvert) &  OFF (Robin Trower)
>Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:23:35 GMT
>
>> I first got into HW in the pre-Lemmy days with "ISOS" and as their
sound
>> changed in the 70's, I lost interest in them as they were losing
their
>> roots or so I naively thought.  It wasn't 'til about 1978 that I
>> belatedly discovered the Charisma albums.  What hooked me was
Calvert's
>> word play on the Hawklords album, especially on Psi-Power and Flying
>> Doctor (now there's an FCC-band drug refernce song).  I really liked
the
>> refernce to the old radio drama series I heard as a child updated and
>> nicely paradied by Calvert.  Damnation Alley is also one of my faves
-
>> "Phoenix is fried up" - what a great line if you've ever been there!
>> And of course there's the beatiful "QS&C" which appeals to us nerdy
>> scientists.  How many have spotted the factual errors in that song?
>
>QUARK, STRANGENESS AND CHARM
>( - Brock - Calvert - )
>>Einstein was not a handsome fellow
>>Nobody ever called him Al
>>He had a long moustache to pull on
>>It was yellow
>>I don't believe he ever had a girl
>
>Einstein was married.
>
>>One thing he missed out in his theory
>>of time, space and relativity
>>Is something that makes it very clear
>>He was never gonna score like you'n'me
>>He didn't know about Quark, Strangeness and Charm
>
>Well he knew about quantum mechanics but believed it wrong, famously
>quoting "God does not play dice with the universe" and positing what's
>now known as the Einstein/Rosen/Podolsky thought experiment showing
that
>there'd need to be a beakdown in either causality or locality for
>quantum mechanics to be consistent. In 1954 Bell showed that
spin-paired
>particles could in fact apparently pass information at greater than the
>speed of light and therefore either causality or locality has to go.

Heisenberg was a bastard!!!

Some one pointed out somewhere that the telescope did not exist in
Copernicus' time, and Galileo was responsible for its invention.
What a great song!

Speaking of which, where are the Charisma albums available now? I've
unfortunately lost my QS&C CD!!
The album shows up in stock at places like CDnow, but i dont see how to
distinguish the original album from the single w/ Uncle Sam's on Mars,
since they dont show the release year or list any of the tracks.
Was the album published by Griffin or anyone else as well?