OFF: Gov't Mule/ King's X /Monster Magnet

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Thu Mar 25 17:25:02 EST 1999

>So, as you can see, 'Sam will not be on the limited set.  In fact, I
was just about to say that 'Sam hasn't been appearing much in the
setlists for quite a while when they go and play it at the Irving
Plaza gig last night.

It's mean and evil, wicked and nasty...

Cheers,

Paul.

Thanks Paul.  Made a trip to the local music store and saw it in the racks.
A bit pricey so I decided to check CDNow since they are having a 30% off
sale.  Store price was not that much different so I'll opt for instant
gratification and just buy it there.

>My funds are not in bad shape but, I've learned caution so will start with
just 1 or 2, perhaps a best of and one of the others you mentioned.
On a side note, I usually avoid "best of" albums because I find that I don't
necessarily agree with their idea of whats best from any given band. Most of
the times, it seems that "best of" really means, "songs that actually got
airplay".

I can relate.  I don't own a single BOC comp.  In fact the KX  "Best
of..."and Frank Marino's "Dragonfly" are the only comps in my collection.
Nothing different with any of the studio versions I got it for the three
bonus songs and something I forgot to mention,  a killer 10 minuete live
version of the song "Over My Head".  Generally this is a well laid out Best
of.  These songs are very representative of the bands career and evolution
thus far.  Besides King's X probably gets less airplay than BOC.

>I have been hearing "Space Lord" a lot on the local station (and liking
it),  so I have decided to ad some to my collection; which album(s) should I
pick  up by them?

A personal Monster Magnet experience.  I saw a video of Space Lord at, of
all places, Walmart.  My thinking, "Wow so thats Monster Magnet, they rewl!"
I rushed out and bought Power Trip.  I fell in love.  Space Lord is the tip
of the iceberg, its a great album.  I then went out and purchased Dopes To
Infinity.  I like that one too.  Its heavier and a bit less organized but I
like it a lot.  I then turned a bud on to Power Trip.  He went out looking
to buy it.  Felt sure he would like Dopes too since it was heavier but not
totally dissimilar.  To my surprise he thought that Dopes was one of the
worst albums he had ever heard in his life.  Absolutely hated it.

Guess my point is if you like Space Lord then get Powertrip.  Later you may
want to experiment with Dopes, but I certainly would not rush out and buy 25
Tab, Spine of God or Superjudge as the first album.  You may be really
dissapointed if ya do.  The further back you go the less commercial/general
appeal.

Just my two pieces of copper.

Ghost In the Ruins
NP:Shadow Gallery - Tyranny