OFF: That one obscure album...

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Mar 25 19:16:22 EST 1999

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:33:16 +0000, Jonathan Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:

>        Whenever someone poses a question like this I'm reminded that I've
>only been collecting obscure music for a few years - almost anything I
>mention is liable to get six people posting back with "Oh, yeah, I got my
>ORIGINAL VINYL SIGNED BY THE LEAD GUITARIST when I went to see his
>undeservedly underrated solo project. But, for what it's worth, a band
>I've never seen mentioned on BOC-L that I think most people here would get
>into pretty fast is Brainticket, Italian 70s psychedelia ...

Swiss, actually.  Don't have original vinyl, autographed or no.  Great
stuff, though!  And I'd think that their overall 'spookiness' would endear
them to many folks on the BOC side of the list.  Yes, Brainticket are
definitely recommended. (hasn't Cleopatra reissued one of their albums in
the US?)

>... that later went
>electronic and uninspired. 'Cottonwood Hill' and 'Psychonaut' are both
>instant buys should you ever see them, and you can quote me on that;
>lovely stuff.

OK - here's one from me: Stone Harbour 'Emerges'
Stone Harbour were a duo (gtr+bass+keys+synth+voc, drums+lead voc) from
Youngstown, Ohio who self-released one album in 1974.  The original is a
serious psych-collector holy grail (we're talking four figures here; and
no, I don't know anyone with an original), but it's been reissued/booted on
vinyl and (I think) CD.  The music is pretty varied, with space rock,
pastoral psychedelia, and 70s hard rock boogie all present to one degree or
another.  And the songs are pretty darn good.  Since they were a duo, they
obviously had to do some bouncing of tracks in order to do all the
overdubbing (I wouldn't be surprised if it was all done with two stereo
reel-to-reels), and that shows in the amount of tape hiss on the album;
hopefully the CD release cleaned things up a bit.  A good example of when
"record collector hype" actually is onto something worthwhile ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com