OFF: Cybotron (was That one obscure album...)

Soniqué sonique at SONIQUE.NET
Fri Mar 26 06:50:46 EST 1999

On 25 Mar 99, at 12:48, cosmos wrote:

> do you have more information of cybotron.
> i have 1 cd of them on a german label.
> the cd is called colossus, and it's a great piece of spacerock.
> reminds me sometimes of ash ra tempel, really great.
> what other releases do they have and are they available on cd yet.

I doubt that any of the Cybotron albunms will make it to CD, but if they ever
do I'd buy them in a flash to complement my vinyl issues.

They formed in 1974, and the first (self titled) LP was released in 1976 on a
now non-existant label "Clear Light of Jupiter" based here in Melbourne
(Australia). They 'band' consisted of Steve Maxwell Von Braund (ARP 2600,
Korg 700, Electronic Percussion and Alto Saxophone) and Geoff Green (Organ,
String synth, Korg 700 and ARP 2600).

The 2nd album was "Colossus" which came out in 1979 on "Neutron Star
Records", also of Melbourne and also now non-existant (could be same label?).
To my surprise I just discovered that my German supplier (for Sonic Bilby)
has it listed! It's on the INAKUSTIK label, cat # is 016-8906

The third album was "Implosion" from 1980. My copy at least was on
(surprisingly) Cleopatra, CLP 203, and though recorded in Oz was mastered in
L.A. If any Cybotron album is likely to be re-issued this would be a good
candidate

That's all of the Cybotron albums - if you see different titles thay are by a
US band of the same name (but much different music). Vinyl copies of all the
albums can still be found in good condition from time to time at 2nd hand
record fairs in Oz (in fact I've bought copies for friends outside of
Australia in the past), but I doubt that you'll see them elsewhere. Von
Braund has released a number of other recordings since that time, but I've
never seen copies of them

That's about all I know, except that they are well worth having.

Now, isn't anyone going to ask about Brainstorm???

Soniqué
--
 PO Box 378                Paul Ward
 Ashburton        http://sonique.net