BOC-L Digest - 25 Mar 1999 to 26 Mar 1999 - Special issue

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Fri Mar 26 09:39:10 EST 1999

> I think Ted hits the nail on the head here!  Dammit, we need MORE
> rockcrits
> like Meltzer - not a bunch of straightlaced old men like Marsh,
> Cristgau or
> Marcus who would rather be writing political analysis for the Village
> Voice.  Rock and Roll music SHOULD be written about and criticized by
> the
> kind of guy who would show up drunk to his friend's wedding, insult
> (or
> make a pass at) the bride, throw bottles, and generally cause an
> unpleasant
> scene.  'Cause that's what Rock and Roll is about!  It ain't about the
> French Situationists, or Chinese oppression in Tibet, or identity
> liberation politics ... it's about getting loaded and having a good
> time!

I realize that some people feel this way, so this is not meant against
Doug or anyone else personally -- but this way of thinking is bullshit
to me.  Some may think that's what rock and roll is about - rebellion
and all that - but for me, it isn't and never was.  It was always the
music.  I'm not saying I want a bunch of political analysts reviewing it
either - I just want someone who can enjoy the music - whether or not he
shows up drunk to his friend's wedding or not.  And while Meltzer may
have plenty of valid musical points, it's hard to see them through his "style".

Besides, if it was just about getting loaded and having a good time -
something I enjoy myself by the way - then why do we here all care about
BOC being the "thinking man's heavy metal band?", and why do we critique
John Shirley's lyrics on Heaven Forbid as being inferior to Pearlman's
and Meltzer's?

John