OFF: That one obscure album.../faves in general

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Fri Mar 26 21:43:49 EST 1999

Brian Halligan wrote:

> >From: Joseph Brooks <Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET>
> >I'm not a big Hawkwind fan either but they have been around for quite a
> >while as well.. (late 70's? Help me out here, Hawk people..)
>
> Late '60s, actually.
>
> >Finally, both bands attract fans that on average, I believe, are
> somewhat
> >more intelligent than your average (insert boring, MTV band here) fan
> and so
> >tend to listen to a wider variety rather than get stuck on a single
> band or
> >genre.
>
> I used to agree with this, but I've found that so-called intelligent
> people listen to all kinds of music.  Even boring MTV bands.  And many
> of them believe that more intelligent people listen to *their* bands
> than to other genres ("unmusical" rap, "pompous" prog, "juvenile" top
> 40, "sexist" heavy metal...)  I think the reason so many of us have a
> wide variety of tastes is because we're *music* lovers.  Some people
> only listen to one genre because that's all they care to listen to.
> They feel they have better things to do than explore obscure music.
> They may wonder why so many people watch Hollywood movies instead of
> "superior" independent films.  Music is one of our main
> interests/hobbies so we're constantly searching for great tunes no
> matter where they're from.
>
> Brian
> obCD>The Olivia Tremor Control: "Black Foliage"

     MAN we kiss each others ass's around here, don't we ;-). I would
tend to agree with that, though, there are those people who swing it
around into the completely opposite direction. People that purposely
listen to the most obscure music for the sole purpose of being
different, avoiding everything "popular" to try and be as original as
possible, but end up listening to the worst obscure music (punk in most
cases) just because it is unpopular. Some people just seem to lose their
objectivity, with popular and obscure music.

Now, about that "movie" thing:

     I can't really comment on any independent movies as I haven't seen
very many, but most of my favorite movies are "hollywood" wide release,
highly promoted movies. These probably being my favorite 5 Science
Fiction/Fantasy (to narrow list) movies of all time:

1. Conan the Barbarian
2. Dune
3. 12 Monkeys
4. Star Wars Trilogy
5. Star Wars first three chapters (I know I'll love em so there on the
list!)

Laj.