OFF: Obscurities

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Sat Mar 27 11:00:34 EST 1999

Torgo Sedler wrote:

> very many, but most of my favorite movies are "hollywood" wide release,
> highly promoted movies. <<<<
>
> Well, I'm a  movie buff of sorts, and I do see quite a few independent
> films. Why do I like these so much? It's easy math really. With
> independent films I usually have never even heard the title before when
> I watch one, so I basically know nothing about them going into them.
> This makes for some VERY pleasant surprises indeed.
>
> As for "mainstream hollywood" movies, I like these just as well,
> unfortunately many of these fall under the wheels of the great hype
> machine and therefore I expect more and they don't deliver. Holywood
> hype is like a television laughtrack for me. Tell me when to laugh and I
> probably won't, but slip something subtle by me with no warning and I'll
> laugh 'till I drop.

<snipedge>

That would be reason #123 why Simpsons is the funniest show on TV to
date, no laugh track. Probably due to the fact that the studio audience
would have to sit and watch the animators for weeks, the jokes would
lose all meaning ;-). They actually had something about this on
Jonovision (a Canadian talk show for ages 12-16) a few days back (I
don't watch Jonovision, just happened to see this as I was channel
surfin', really). What they did was tape a conversation between two
people that really wasn't that humorous, one recording was just the
conversation and on the other one they overlapped with a laugh track.
They then proceeded to show the tapes to two different groups of people,
letting each person view it privately, and the people that watched the
laugh tracked tape actually laughed at moments of the conversation that
weren't funny.

Laj.