OFF: That one obscure album.. Conan

Sprawl sprawl at BBOARD.COM
Sun Mar 28 00:55:06 EST 1999

On lvr 27 mar 1999 11.56 -0500 Sprawl <sprawl at BBOARD.COM> wrote:
> Captured the feel? I cannot possible disagree more.

I chose the wrong words here.  I do not diasagree with you.  I lament the
incontinuity of the story line.  I would have preferred to see a single
story
brought to life, instead of the most dramatic parts of several being toned
down and pieced together.

>     Really?  Well, maybe I had a different take on the written
>stories.  I got the same vibe from them as I got from the movie--
>the cheezy swords and sorcery stuff :)  Yeah, it was pastiche,
>but that's kinda what I expected.  Ah well.  Context again?
>I had read some Conan, saw the film, read more Conan.  It was
>a long time ago.

As I remember the Conan novels...  (the only books I HAVEN'T read are
those by Robert Jordan) they were very dark and Lovecraftian.  With good
reason,
Robert Howard and HP Lovecraft were in fairly constant contact, sharing
ideas.
I had read all of the stories before the movie came out.  I saved EVERY
clipping and
reference to it that I could find.  I was a total freak.  I guess it is no
small wonder that
I was ... disappointed.

>     Destroyer on the other hand, I found humourous, but nothing
>like the books.

Funny..  this one actually followed a complete original story...  to a
point.  Again, under-played.
Should have been several shades darker, and with very little "fun."

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, & Celtic
mailto:cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk