OFF: That one obscure album.. Conan

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Sun Mar 28 15:05:46 EST 1999

Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> On sön 28 mar 1999 00.58 -0500 Sprawl <sprawl at BBOARD.COM> wrote:
> >>When you look at the genre, there's not that much else out there that is
> >>done
> >>with that level of production values....  I'd rate Excalibur as my top
> pick
> >>in the genre... after that I'm not sure I can think of one done better
> than
> >>the first Conan movie.    (don't even mention the second one around me,
> >>though...)
> >
> > Excalibur Kicked ass.  Nah.. I can't really think of anything either.
>
>      Well, you want good fantasy films, you leave Hollywood and
> go to Hong Kong! :)
>
> --
> Carl Edlund Anderson
> Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, & Celtic
> St. John's College, University of Cambridge
> mailto:cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk
> http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~carl/

     That reminds me of a pretty good Japanese Martial Arts picture
called "Snake in the Monkeys Shadow"(that's got to be obscure). The
story goes as follows, it's been a while since I've seen it though so
there might be a few mistakes;
     Two evil Snake style masters travel to a martial arts school to
kill it's master, which they do, and one of his students has to avenge
his death (ya pretty generic here but it gets better!). Anyway at the
end of the movie our hero (who was trained in Monkey Style), was getting
his ass kicked by the two snake style masters, but during the battle he
sees his pet monkey attacking a snake and he starts emulating it's
maneuvers, the camera then shoots back and forth showing first the
monkey and the snake, then the monkey master and the snake masters duel,
where the monkey master was emulating his pet monkeys attack on the
snake, which helps him eventually defeat the snake masters
YAAAAAAAAAAA!.
     The movie was dubbed, and the plot was pretty generic, but the
martial art sequences were choreographed really well, and the way he
triumphs at the end, good movie.

Laj.