OFF: Godspeed You Black Emperor!

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Mar 30 14:07:56 EST 1999

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:42:08 +0100, Jon Browne <jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:
>No, I've changed my mind.
>
>The best-album-ever-that's-no-one's-heard-of is the KAK album.
>
>One fantastic LP, then they split, leaving music forever.
>
>Go figure.

Actually, Gary Yoder (and maybe one of the others) wound up in a latter-day
Blue Cheer lineup.  I forget which album(s), though.  Maybe 'New ...
Improved'?  The great thing is that someone is repressing vinyl (!) of a
lot of cool obscure albums that were released on Columbia/Epic in the late
60s, including KAK, Kaleidoscope (US band - not the UK 'Tangerine Dream'
one), United States of America (one of the first-ever rock+electronics
bands along with Silver Apples and 50 Foot Hose - a must-hear for Hawkwind
fans!) and Moby Grape (OK, they're not that obscure).  Unfortunately, Skip
Spence's 'Oar' doesn't seem to be included (but you should get the CD
reissue with bonus tracks, anyway).  Nor the Hampton Grease Band's 'Music
To Eat' (a must-hear for Zappa/Beefheart fans, as well as anyone who digs
Col. Bruce Hampton's more recent Aquarium Rescue Unit), but that one's an
early-70s double LP.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com