Kaleidoscope

andrew andrew at DELUMINATE.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Wed Mar 31 13:54:19 EST 1999

At 12:30 31/03/99 +0000, you wrote:
>From: Mark Edmonds
>Date: 1999-03-31 12:30
>
>>Faintly Blowing / Kaleidoscope. Either this or their other release

>Do you know when this group used the album name TangerIne Dream? Do you
>know why they chose this title name? Is it something to do with LSD tabs?

Yes indeed, Kaleidoscope were a fucking great UK psych band: Tangerine
Dream came out in November 1967 and Faintly Blowing was from 69. If you're
interested there's a CD out on Fontana (Mercury) called Dive Into Yesterday
which has most of their stuff on (unfortunately including one track that is
spectacularly bad: Do It Again For Jeffrey). TD is my fave lp - each track
is a pstunner, although FB is also pretty spiffy too, and if anyone has
ever used as much phasing as their producer did on 'Music' I'd like to hear
it.
        Don't know where they got 'Tangerine Dream' from. There might be an acid
connection but apparently the lads didn't do any drugs but drank gallons of
cider instead. Which is a bit of a surprise as they rate as one of the
(imho) top UK psych oufits from the late 60s. Anyway the latest issue of
Shindig has got a bit of a feature on them so if there's any more info to
be gleaned from that i'll let you know. (It's also meant to have a pretty
big John's Children feature/interview so psych fans watch out!)

andrew

"Radioactivity,
Discovered by Madame Curie"
- Kraftwerk