HW: Live 79 (An invitation to a 1 minute hate)

andrew andrew at DELUMINATE.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Wed Mar 31 14:20:16 EST 1999

>>>      Gee, and I thought "Shot Down in the Night" was *excellent* :)
>
>I completely agree with Carl - I like everything about this song.  The way
>the intro builds up with the audience chant and Tim & Dave(?)'s bubbling &
>droning synths ... then Simon counts off and blam!    A Hawkwind concert
>opener that nearly rivals the buildup from "Earth Calling" into "Born To
>Go" on 'Space Ritual'.  Someone else commented on not liking the "cheesy"
>synth/organ chords, but I think they're a great expression of the 60's
>garage band influence that HW sometimes shows (

[all the bob/nik stuff that i wholeheartedly agree with snipped]

WHHHAAATTTT     ?????   okay the organ i can understand, but those horrible
polysynth plonkings comparable to the sinuous majesty of, say, a Vox
Phantom? No, there really is nothing that could make me love this version
(and it has to be said that this tack nearly convinced me to try again).
        Brainbox.. i can't comment on, not having heard it, but tbh (and i am
being honest and not taking the piss), Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs
version of 'Red Hot' does make me think of 'Angels of Death'.
        Right, its time to play with wiring and get Space Ritual in one channel
and some grage punk/pysch in the other. So long chaps, I may be some time ...

andrew