OFF: GARRRUNNNGGGG!!!

John Majka flossbac at NLCI.COM
Wed Mar 31 18:38:51 EST 1999

At 09:31 AM 3/31/99 +0100, you wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Keith Henderson wrote:
>
>> Jon said...
>>
>> >        Can't help laughing at that... When grunge hit the news in the UK
>> >it was mostly Nirvana, though there were some long-haired disreputable
>> >types who got very upset at the way Nirvana had hijacked the phenomenon
>> >when people like Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains, who somehow 'deserved'
>> >success more, were being left behind.

This is really odd, seeing as how Nirvana as a band predates both Pearl Jam
and Alice in Chains.  Besides which, Alice in Chains were formerly a glam
metal band who weren't finding success, so they jumped on the bandwagon of
what seemed like a happening scene, moved to Seattle (a city they weren't
from) and became lumped in with the "grunge" thing, although I think most
people then and now would describe Alice in Chains as more of a metal band.
 I was always happy that Cobain kept his head regarding the fluke success
of his band, as he often described his band as the "Bay City Rollers of the
1990's" and said he would be happy when the hoopla died down and they could
John Majka
flossbac at nlci.com