OFF: Fixing Happy

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Sun May 2 12:55:44 EDT 1999

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

=>     Ah, but there aren't enough Linux apps yet.  I'd have to
=>learn to program so that I could write the ones I needed.  Give
=>them a couple of years, and _then_ we'll have something :)

Actually, you might be pleasantly surprised.  Between KDE and its
family of applications; StarOffice; The GIMP; Netscape; Pine; Adobe
Acrobat; etc., there's more than enough to get by on.  I have *zero*
Microsoft products on my IBM PC clone, and I have not yet been stymied
by a lack of any applications for anything I've wanted to do.

How much is "enough?"

=>Carl, who notes that there's Linux for Macs as well :)

As well as NetBSD!

But I did not intend to touch off an OS advocacy war, so I shall slink
back to the NSF research grant proposal I'm supposed to be working
on...

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Gov't Mule, 5/13/98