OFF: Amorphis

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue May 4 11:33:55 EDT 1999

Hi Folks...

Well, things are a little quiet on the music front here on boc-l, so I
thought I'd bring up this band I discovered recently.

I guess they started out as a really doomy metal band, but have since backed
off from that into 'my territory.'  They're not really of the stoner
variety, though they have some of the same tendencies (ie., tinges of
psychedelia).  But if I had to characterize the sound of their latest album,
"Tuonela," I would say equal parts of the following...

Uli Roth-era Scorpions (circa Taken by Force)
Kingston Wall
Metallica's black album

The KW comparison is unmistakable on several tracks (esp. Track 8), and
seeing as they're from Helsinki, Finland, it's not so hard to figure why.
The album's on Relapse and seems to have fairly good distribution over here
in the states.  Are they well-known to folks here or in general?  I'd never
heard of them until last month.

Keith H. (FAA)

ObCD:  On Trial - Head Entrance