Coupla topics

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Mon May 10 11:45:09 EDT 1999

Hi there

Having grown up in the UK on TV shows such as Doctor Who, Out Of The
Unknown, the Gerry Anderson shows, Quatermass, etc., I wasn't too impressed
when I first saw Star Trek, as I just didn't find it as intriguing as the
British shows I had seen up 'til then (I was fairly lucky that my parents
would let me stay up until 11pm long before I was 10). When the first Star
Wars movie came out, I was one of the few I knew who didn't rush out to see
it. I was partly put off by someone who had never seen Doctor Who that
thought the Daleks were similar to R2D2 (cute robots!!).I was also not that
interested as I liked my SF to be more character driven, and less special
effects. I never saw it until it was out on video for about 2 years, and
still don't know what the fuss was about.

I did, in fact, go see The Empire Strikes Back at the cinema, and rather
liked it. I saw it the same evening I went to see Black Sabbath, with Dio
singing. It was after this that I got the video out.
The 3rd one I also saw at the cinema one day when I was really bored, and
could find nothing else to do. I should have gone home to sleep instead!

> <<On the contrary, I'm just totally not interested in SW, and I'm
> just trying
> to live a SW-free existence over the next few months.  A quixotic gesture,
> >>

> y'know, i didnt see any of the STAR WARS movies until i saw all three at
> once, in '91...i concur with mr. gilham's desire for a SW-free
> existence...and yet...

I know some people who talk about nothing but the new movie. I might go and
see it with friends if they go, but I won't go out of my way to see it. I'd
much rather see a movie with a good plot and acting, than a special effects
laden visual bore.

What would make my day is a Doctor Who movie.

William