Off: PORCUPINE TREE Live

chris bates c.d.bates at SHU.AC.UK
Tue May 11 05:31:24 EDT 1999

Andy Gilham <Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM> writes:

> > P.S.  Britney Spears and Shania Twain are the ones that are so ubiquitous
> > right now that even I can't escape.  Man oh man, is BS awful!!
>
> See? :)  I really think there's something wrong with getting an anorexic
> teenager to wear too much makeup and a school uniform two sizes too small,
> and have her singing "hit me one more time".  (But maybe I'm just a puritan
> :)

Nah, you're just not eleven. My youngest daughter who _is_ 11
cannot understand why my wife and I disapprove of Britney. We
had a conversation like this:

[me] I think it's wrong that she sings about being hit
[youngest daughter] She's not
[me] Well she keeps saying hit me one more time
[yd] Yes but... it doesn't mean that
[me] So what does it mean?
[yd] Well errrm.... I don't know!
[me] Might it be wrong then?
[yd] No
[me] It's all right to sing about domestic violence then?
[yd] No, but it doesn't mean that!

ad nauseum. Apparently if it's on the radio then kids think the
lyrics are OK because they've been somehow approved by modern
day intellectual giants like Zoe Ball.

--
Chris Bates
Lecturer