OFF: Star Wars

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Wed May 12 12:26:30 EDT 1999

Wow - been a long time since *I* spawned such a long thread...  ;-)

My perspective on the new Star Wars movie is simple -- like KISS and
BOC, Star Wars came into my life at age 13 -- a time in a boys life when
I'm beginning to believe is a time which will forever shape (or WARP)
his future existence (this doesn't necessarily seem to be the case for
women - not my wife anyway - she laughs at me during these times...).
Anyway, when I was growing up, Star Wars was IT - or, as they sometimes
say these days, Star Wars was the shit (although that expression doesn't
particularly appeal to me as calling something "the shit" hardly seems
complimentary).  Now, I wasn't a fanatic - I only saw it probably 5
times, and 2 or 3 times for both Empire and Jedi - of course that
doesn't count video rentals - and the fact that when the "Special
Editions" came out 2 years ago, I went to a theater complex and watched
them back to back to back.

I will be shortly trying to get myself a ticket for Episode 1 -- I'm
psyched in a big way for this.  Yeah, the overhype can be draining, and
the marketing isn't something I buy into (I do have the soundtrack and
storybooks - unread until I see the movie -- I really don't want to know
the plot before I see it -- when "Jedi" came out, my local paper gave
away the whole plot before I saw the film and I was really pissed), but
all that doesn't matter to me.  Bottom line is that this is going to be
one kick-ass movie that *I* want to see, and I'm gonna see it -- and I'm
gonna be excited about it.  And if the rest of the world doesn't share
that enthusiasm, that is cool -- to each his/her own - just don't
anybody rain on my personal parade here... :-)

John

PS:  I would hope that anyone who posts info here would refrain from
giving away anything in the movie -- at a minimum, please post spoiler
warnings prominently at the head of your post.

John A. Swartz - The MITRE Corporation, Bedford MA - jswartz at mitre.org

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side.  Fear leads to Anger.   Anger leads
to Hate.
Hate leads to SUFFERING."  -- Yoda (Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace)