OFF: Gov't Mule [and Quarkspace]

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed May 12 14:47:27 EDT 1999

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Marshall Wood wrote:

=> OK, I've been charged with the task of fulfilling my wife's
=> Columbia House obligation.  I've got to buy 2 CDs from their
=> catalog.  I combed through it pretty thoroughly, and found 3 CDs
=> by Gov't Mule.  They have the self-titled one, _Dose_, and _Live
=> at the Roseland Ballroom_.  (No sign of the 2-CD live one.)
=> Which one should I start with?  I'll probably pick one by GM and
=> _Dopes to Infinity_ by Monster Magnet.

My gut feeling is to go for _Live at the Roseland Ballroom_.  There are
some nice jams on there, especially the opening 16-minute jam on "Trane"
from their debut album.  If you're not a big fan of live albums, but
instead prefer studio efforts, try _Dose_.  (Having said that, Gov't
Mule "studio" albums are pretty much "live in the studio" affairs, so
it's a bit moot.)  It is probably a little more complex than _Gov't
Mule_, and more representative of their current sound.  _Gov't Mule_
still rocks the walls, though.

IMHO, you won't go wrong with whatever one you decide on.

=> NP:  _Spacefolds 5_ - quarkspace (So far, I like this much better than their _Live at Orion_ disk.)

I got a flyer from Eternity's Jest Records announcing their new CD.  Are
they any good?  Apparently, I can get it free if I subscribe to Aural
Innovations before the 15th May.  Any quick suggestions/thoughts?

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I don't live today; maybe tomorrow..."