HW: Lemmy in _Bassist_ magazine

Sat May 15 13:57:31 EDT 1999

     BTW, I note that Lemmy graces the cover of the current
issue (June 99) of _Bassist_ magazine (a UK beastie). The
pic itself looks like it's probably about 10 years old though.
I'm sure Lemmy looks grimmer now :) and last report have him
still clean(ish) shaven.  But I approve of the bass he's
holding in the photo, since its a dead ringer for mine :)
(except that he clearly has some kind of humbucker in
the neck pickup, while I have a bastardized Telecaster
"quarter-pounder" pick up in that position).

     The article has a couple of paragraphs of HW-related
material--the familiar "how I joined story" with Nik's
"make noises in E" advice, and the "drug bust/kick-out"
story.  Lemmy also picks his fave HW albums as _Space
Ritual_ and _HotMG_--choices I won't argue with barring
a special mention for the bass solo in _Doremi_'s "Time
We Left" (which, serendipitously, I am listening to now :)
and a lingering affection for the combination of ambientish
stuff and and spacerock on _Palace Springs_ (though on
that they should have ditched the ridiculous "Acid Test"
in favour of and "Out of the Shadows, etc." medley :)

     Lemmy also asserts that the new Motorhead live album
is better than _No Sleep 'til Hammersmith_.  A bold
statement.  But though I haven't heard the new album yet,
I've heard a fair deal of live Motorhead in the last few
years and I'm prepared to believe him!

Cheers,
Carl

--