OFF: Audiophile Help

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Mon May 17 15:38:58 EDT 1999

In a message dated 5/17/99 1:49:06 PM, russell.j.hall at LMCO.COM writes:

<<is Dolby S worth the extra money, >>

i dont think you'd necessarily pay more for dolby S; i got a pioneer deck
with it almost 5 years ago, dont recall paying much (if any) more for it...

my question might be >>and feedback is encouraged here<< "why bother?"
i almost never use the dolby S (nor any other dolby, 'tho S is related to B &
C in name only). since the folks i send cassettes to most often dont have it,
no point in my using it on outbound tapes...
i've had some appreciation of it when used on things like really poor quality
audience recordings, or exceptionally scratchy '40s transcription discs, but
on other occasions, given the condition of the material to start with, one
might as well listen to the top-end crackle and hiss. the audience tape type
stuff can be muffled and occasionally "surging" w/dolby S as well, i've
found...

would i go out of my way again to get a deck w/dolby S?  nope.
harkening back to  mr. hall's original question , is it worth the extra
money? if in fact extra money was involved, i'd say , one mo' time, nope.

but seriously, has anyone else here gotten much use out of dolby S? please
xplain.

softly, as i leave you...
"<>"