OFF: Chemical Brothers

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Fri May 21 01:40:22 EDT 1999

> > I heard a new track by The Chemical Brothers called "Hey Boy Hey Girl",
> > which is very, very Hawkwind sounding. Can someone tell me if
> this is what
> > they sound like generally, as I liked this track?
>
> Not sure about the HW sound in there, but its definitely like a
> bunch of their
> other material.
>
> IMHO, its a fair track ruined by excessive use of the title
> sample, which just
> becomes annoying from about 1 minute in. I guess its me becoming
> an old fogey,
> but I notice these days that all these big tracks by the Chem Bros (&
> particularly Fat Boy Slim) start off promising but go absoutely
> nowhere for 4
> minutes, looping about 15 seconds of sonic interest ad nauseum.
> Where's the
> dynamics and progression gone ? I mean plenty of HW songs chug
> along for 10
> minutes but at least there's some variance to keep you occupied.

Thanks for the info. I found it very Hawkwindy, and a nice change to the
usual crap that's played on the radio here in West Australia,a place that
considers REM and Dire Straits as far too way out and experimental (Yes,
it's that bad here).
You do find decent music if you hunt around for it, but most of the general
stores are full of the usual (Celine Dion, Kylie Minough, Boyzone, Spice
Girls, etc..). The same shops usually put groups like Dire Straits & REM
under progressive, and don't have a clue about music. One of my friends even
had trouble convincing one of these stores that there is (or was) a group
called Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

William