OFF: Chemical Brothers

Fri May 21 16:53:47 EDT 1999

On fre 21 maj 1999 18.22 +0100 bart <bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK> wrote:
> IMHO, its a fair track ruined by excessive use of the title sample, which
just
> becomes annoying from about 1 minute in. I guess its me becoming an old
fogey,
> but I notice these days that all these big tracks by the Chem Bros (&
> particularly Fat Boy Slim) start off promising but go absoutely nowhere
for 4
> minutes, looping about 15 seconds of sonic interest ad nauseum. Where's
the
> dynamics and progression gone ? I mean plenty of HW songs chug along for
10
> minutes but at least there's some variance to keep you occupied.

     The curse of techno: insufficient human input ... or even
human error!  Old Hawkwind is chugging over a pattern but the
details are being controlled by human beings in real time, all
(possibly ;) listening to each other and building a sonic gestalt.
Hard to replicate when everything is done by machine, hard to get
that wetware sound from a hardware box.

Cheers,
Carl

--