OFF: Anime

Mon May 24 11:16:07 EDT 1999

On mån 24 maj 1999 07.40 -0700 "BREVARD, Adrian R." <abrevard at SHL.COM>
wrote:
[DasLud opined:]
>>i dunno why it is, but the anime for boys doesnt appeal much to
>>me...martial
>>arts/giant robots/variations on "star wars"...nah...
>
> Interesting.  Jubei is one of my fave characters.  Have you seen Ninja
> Scroll or Ninja Ressurection?  Beyond that Vegeta of Dragon Balls Z also
> floats my boat.  Whats wrong with Voltron?

     Voltron rocks! Ah, my adolescent post-school TV dose ... :)
Even better is a superb fan-parody made by putting voice-overs
over the original.  I have a fuzzy tape of that somewhere, which
also has the stunning fan-video of "Enter Sandman" done with clips
from Iczer One.  Makes the real video of the song look stupidly
weak :)

     Never watched a lot of giant robot stuff, but I quite like a
few peripheral things, like Gunbuster :)

> Easily one of the worst series I have ever seen.  I'm probably just weird
> but Sailor Moon is just awful.  Give me Ghost in the Shell, Vampire Hunter
> D, heck I could even sit thru Violence Jack (again) anything but Sailor
> Moon.

     Haven't seen a lot of Sailor Moon--it broke big in the West
after my undergrad years when I regularly watched loads of
pre-release stuff thanks to the offices of a guy who worked for
one of the translation companies.  Some of the "magic girl"
anime stuff is pretty freaky stuff though.  Magic Knights of
Rayearth springs to mind, Pretty Sammy ... something else I
watched in the US last year that I can't remember but was
highly warped.

     Still, I hang tight for some of the old Rumiko Takahashi
stuff: Lum, Ranma, Supergal.  Top notch!  And my original faves
the incomparable Dirty Pair (er ... Lovely Angels! :)

     Good old D.  He pretty much kicked ass too.

> Since you like the female persepctive how are you for Project Ako series?

     The first one kicked every kind of butt.  It was just loaded
with beautiful parodies of loads of other anime.  I thought the
follow-ons were not nearly so clever, though have vague recollection
of watching one of the "Blue vs. Grey" productions some years back
and thinking it was pretty cool.

no dubs please,
Carl

--