OFF: Porcupine Tree Advice

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Nov 4 15:28:34 EST 1999

David Hall wrote...

>> Try the latest one "Stupid Dream", or "The Sky Moves Sideways". The latter
>> one has longer tracks. You can't go wrong with any of them really. If
>> ambient is your bag try some Steve's solo stuff for example the IEM CD.
>> The latest single has a cover of Hallo Gallo on the 7" format.

Mike H. asked...

>What's the PT disc with the Hawkwind tribute stuff on it?

That *will* be the vinyl only re-release of Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape on
the American Gates of Dawn label.  (Michael Piper is the guy's name...hence
the chosen moniker.)  I think it's due out around the end of the millenium
(ok, a year before the true end of the millenium).  I think it's to be
pressed onto yellow vinyl!!  And probably very limited run.  My guess is
that Delerium might carry them.  As far as the 'Hawkwind' track goes, it's
the replacement for The Cross, the Prince cover that SW did on the original
cassettes (?) and YHD CD.  I forget the name of the track, but somebody here
said earlier that it resembled Magnu.  Sounds interesting.

As far as SW solo material goes, I'd say that Bass Communion is very ambient
(the new one (BC#2 though it doesn't actually say #2 on it!!) has a bonus
disc with guest appearance by Robert Fripp), but I.E.M. is a mix of a couple
'ambient' space tunes, and a couple Neu!-style rockers.  I really like these
ones...punchy and hypnotic at the same time.

My favourite PT work is Coma Divine, the live album with lots of stuff from
Signify and TSMS on it.  Signify is probably my favourite studio work.
Stupid Dream continually grows on me...there are a few spots I really
dislike however.  It's certainly a departure from TSMS anyway.

Keith H. (FAA)