OFF: Bardo Pond question

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Nov 5 16:46:51 EST 1999

I like 'em pretty well, although I should point out that I once toured for
a week with a band that was opening for them (and had no problem seeing
them six or seven nights in a row).  I'd say don't miss them if you're into
My Bloody Valentine-type ultra-dense psychedelic shoegaze stuff, but you
can probably do without if you're more into heavier/pouding
blanga/stonerrock (hope that puts some perspective on them, at least).

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 22:10:18 -0500, Brian Halligan
<bthalligan at EARTHLINK.NET> said:
>I have an opportunity to see the band next week, and I was wondering if
>anyone here would recommend them. I've heard their one track on the
>"Succour" Terrascope CD, and wasn't particularly impressed.

That one is a bit of a "toss-off" track IMO, but it is representative of
their overall sound as it was at the time.  Their latest album has a more
refined, less
throw-in-every-effect-including-the-kitchen-sink-onto-every-track sound,
and some nice violin drones from vocalist/flautist Isobel Sollenger (who,
purely from an eye candy perspective, should be reason enough for many
males of the species to check 'em out).

>But I'd be
>willing to give them another listen if someone here who knows more about
>them thinks they're worth seeing.

When touring with them, I thought their live shows were more interesting
than their records, FWIW.

Vaguely-related rant: Primordial Undermind (who are playing our last shows,
barring a possible Japanese tour and/or Terrastock performance next year,
in LA at the end of November) WERE supposed to open for them in San
Francisco (Bardo Pond wanted us, the club wanted us), but Bardo's booking
agent insisted that a *DJ* on said agent's roster be on the bill instead of
a real band.  No, rock's not dead, it's only that most people these days
would prefer to pretend that it is.  I'll still probably go see Bardo Pond,
but I might bring some rotting vegetables if I'm gonna get there early ;^).

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com