an observation from a rookie

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Mon Nov 8 18:15:02 EST 1999

At 07:55 08.11.1999 EST, you wrote:

>c'mon, who's next?
>lololol
>
>"<>"
We-e-e-e-ll
Ian Stewart (Stones pianist) was a regular at our jazz club with Rocket 88
(his boogie-woogie band) - and when we wanted to do an "In Memoriam" gig
for Alexis Korner (who also came to Notts a lot), he came up with (amongst
others less exalted) Charlie Watts (very nice bloke) Jack Bruce (nice bloke
- sometimes), Jimmy Page (dead friendly - he let me have a plink on his
vintage Les Paul (schlurrp)) and Dick Heckstall-Smith (cool as fuck!).

After setup, a bunch of us were in the pub over the road with Jimmy,
Charlie & some of the less well known members of the band.  Kid walks in,
spots Charlie, turns to his girlfriend and says loudly "Hey, look, it's
Charlie Watts!"; Charlie groans quietly.
"Hey, Charlie, can I have an autograph please?", Charlie, being a nice guys
says "OK". Kid then frantically searches for a pen, and something for
Charlie to sign.  All this time he hasn't noticed JP, who's two seats
further round the table, (fairly newly) clean shaven and with a short
haircut.  Kid gets Charlie's moniker on a beer mat, says "Thanks" and is
obviously over the moon.  As he turns to go back to his girlfriend and his
mates, we all roar with laughter 'coz he has a HUUUUGE embroidered SwanSong
logo on the back of his denim jacket.  JP blushes with amusement and
embarassment, and I just wish I could have seen that kid' face when Jimmy
walked on stage, plugged in, leaned up against the proscenium arch, and
strummed a few chords to tune up......

ChrisW
(Wishing he still had  his tape of the show!)

P.S.  Saw Loudon Wainwright III on Saturday night...great show - nearly two
hours of happysad wonderment - one song'd make you weep, the next have you
pissing your pants with laughter!

"a cynic is a man who when he smells flowers looks around for a coffin" -
Bierce