AW: HW: Hawkwind at Strange Daze 98 MPEG audio

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Thu Nov 11 09:32:20 EST 1999

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, M Holmes wrote:

=> OK, I download a file in BINARY mode. I rename it to tackx.mp3
=>
=> When I try to get this into Cooledit to produce a WAV file to write to
=> CD, I can't seem to import it properly. Are there settings on Cooledit
=> which will work? If not what other program would help?

Convert it to WAV first if you're going to edit in CoolEdit.  There are
several ways to do this.  Since you appear to be using M$-Windoze, I
recommend getting a copy of WinAmp and then, in the preferences, switch
to the WAV Output driver.  This will "play" the MP3 to a WAV file on
disc, instead of to the soundcard.  Voila!  You have a WAV file you can
write to CD-R (since the source MP3s in this case are at the correct
sample size and sample rate; otherwise you'd have to resample before
burning).

The FAQ for WinAmp explicitly includes information about how to convert
MP3s to WAVs using WinAmp (or at least it did).  I believe there is a
link to the FAQ from within the WinAmp program.

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: Unix users can use MPG123, and pipe the output to a file to make WAV
files for CD-R burning.  You can also use sox on this output to convert
it to various other sound formats, such as AIFF (popular on Macs).

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I don't live today; maybe tomorrow..."
        --- James Marshall Hendrix