OFF: Response (and lack thereof)

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Nov 12 10:17:32 EST 1999

Hi Folks...

Have just been reading the comments about those who have felt ignored.  I
think many of us have had similar experiences (especially early on), but
with time comes less expectation.  I'm not sure what it takes to drive the
list to pick up on any particular thread.  But the amount of posting is
certainly not evenly distributed, i.e., there are relatively few here
providing a majority of the list's volume.  And if you don't inspire one of
those few, then you must *really* inspire the lurker types to elicit any
response.  And also, any newcomer might post something that the list feels
is ground that has already been tread over numerous times, and be hesitant
to feed that monster once more.

Anyway, I don't let it get to me personally when ignored, it happens to us
all.  I got zero response to my announcement of Quarkstock 2000, which tells
me that a vacation in Columbus, OH (even to see live space rock) is not a
particularly popular idea.  That's ok, this isn't my real hometown, and I
don't find anything exciting about Columbus either.  I think the posts that
get the most response are those that have shock-horror value and especially
ones that you unintentionally (or even intentionally!) include some
historical ignorance/blatant error.  Or controversial suggestion.  As in
SIAYRA from Roadhawks recently.  In the end, I think 'factual' or
informative posts, or even a stated opinion that isn't particularly
shocking, these all are absorbed by a large number of listmembers without
necessarily provoking much (or any) response at all.  So you're generally
being heard I think, and perhaps we even agree.  Oh, and notice that *these*
postings *are* generating responses...whatever it takes I guess.

Anyway, to continue promoting this lost cause (?) of an event, here is the
latest word about QS2K.  If you come, I promise you won't have to do any
sight-seeing (or smelling) around town!!

Quarkstock 2000, the first in an annual series of spacerock and avant-prog,
is taking place Memorial Day weekend 2000(5/27-28) at Ruby Tuesday's (not the
restaurant chain!) in Columbus OH.  Scheduled to appear are, Alien
Planetscapes, Architectual Metaphor, Born to Go, Dark Aether Project,
Escapade, French TV, Tombstone Valentine and festival organizers, Quarkspace.
The SolarFire Lightshow will be providing the visuals for the whole weekend.
Cost for the whole festival is only $20, for more info go to
http://quarkspace.com.

Keith H. (FAA)