BOC: Live at the Middle East - 11/10/99

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Nov 15 07:53:23 EST 1999

> From:          Brian Halligan <bthalligan at EARTHLINK.NET>

> >> What is "Slow Down"?
> >>
> >> --  Nick
>
> >[Hall, Russell J] An Old Beatles tune - I think
>
> Yep. They played this at a show in New Hartford, NY maybe a year and a half
> ago. "Smokin'" Joe Bonomassa (sp?) teen blues guitarist extrordinare jamed
> with the band on this tune. He and Buck had a mutual appreciation society
> going on up there. Theo was there, he'll tell you. :-)

Yeah, I'll bite.  Torgo Sedler was there too.  Smokin' Joe is an
amazing player, and I'm mystified that he isn't a bigger star, esp.
given the success that other young 'blues' hot shots like Kenny Wayne
Vaughan and Jonny Collins Lang are experiencing.  I've seen 'em all,
and none of these kids even approach Smokin' Joe as a player.  Derek
Trucks is in Joe's league, but he plays a lot different style of
music.  Joe's songwriting is pretty impressive too.  Lots of key
changes, tempo changes etc.  Considering you can catch him in small
clubs, Joe is a great concert experience...

All that being said, I wasn't too pleased seeing him on stage with
BOC!  It's apples and oranges, and I don't particularly dig seeing
BOC play covers like 'Slow Down' nor do I like seeing a blues-tyoe
guy jamming with BOC.  Just doesn't jibe with my twisted sense of
aesthetics...

theo