HW: Epoch Eclipse Review.

Mark Lee MLee at ESPARTO.ORG
Wed Nov 17 07:02:49 EST 1999

I was at my mates last night and picked up his copy
of Uncut for November 1999, it had a short review in
which I quote below :-

Hawkwind
Epoch Eclipse
EMI * * * * *
The 30th anniversary compilation
as either a double CD or three-CD boxed set.
HAWKWIND made a big bad nasty soun in the
early seventies, and despite their reputation as
whispy-hippy progressive dilettantes, managed
to record some of the most compelling rocck'n'roll
of the decade.  Fronted variously by Dave Brock,
Nik Turner, Bob Calvert and Lemmy, tracks like
"Master of the Universe", "Brainstorm", and
"Brainbox Pollution" were three chord masterpieces
unashamedly tackling the business of "simulating
the acid experience".
  Hawkwind cited the Velvets' "Sister Ray" and
Michael Moorcock as influences, and this boxed
set finally achieves what a hundred previous
compilations have failed to do.  It samples every era
of the band from 1970's "Hurry on Sundown" to the
astonishing 1999 KLF remix of "Silver Machine" which,
one hopes, will finally re-establish the credentials of
the only truly space rock band.
Peter Huxley.

I was really quite pleased with the 5 star rating and really
must get my bum in gear and buy the bloody set soon - hmmm -
wonder what I'll get for xmas this year...

Meanwhile, back to lurking at work.

Mark.