HW: NIK: Nik's Sphynx album

Chuck Rosenberg Chuckrecs at AOL.COM
Sat Nov 20 14:35:48 EST 1999

In a message dated 11/19/99 3:49:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ceres at SIRIUS.COM writes:

> I like that part a lot, and I'm glad they included it as a bonus track.
>  Definitely my favorite part of the Cleopatra 'Sphynx' album.

---Alright, Doug, when we meet in person next week, we can really have it
out. As you said, we can disagree on everything but that we're HW fans (or in
this case Nik fans, though of course we know there are plenty on this list
inherently opposed to all the Nik albums out of principle, right?). Anyway, I
love the Cleo Sphynx...until the flute part, which puts me to sleep.
Hmmm...but talk about vibe...I'm sure if I got to hear it while sitting in
the Pyramid myself, it'd be a different story.) Anyway, I don't see how
Sphynx sounds in/un?cohesive. Seems to have a nice ebb and flow to me between
nice mellow bits and rockin' tunes. It sounds like a band to me (though I
know it isn't) and I even like Nik's spoken vox quite a bit (hey imagine how
much worse the album might have been if he'd sung!! He's a better speaker
than singer, maybe most can agree on that). Anyway, honorable mention to "God
Rock", my fave from the album, nice slice of ambience...  PS: don't have
Xitintoday yet, but I thought it was released in '78, not '76?? Chuck