HW: Recent v Old / Poll

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 21 01:42:00 EST 1999

In a message dated 11/20/99 6:03:22 PM, dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK writes:

<< Having caught every tour since 1979 (numerous gigs on some tours) and
bought

every official release, and having nothing better to do, here's my potted

history (dates approximate) and opinion of Hawkwind 1979 - 1999. Discussion

and responses welcome!

==============
excellent. the hat tips to you, sir.

i didnt give 'em much of a break t'other night; musta been the shock of that
other guy casually dismissing "space in ritual" in favor of the last few
years of HW.

i thought the trio was second only to the 'lemmy era'. the 'lemmy era'
(tossing  in "ISOS") honestly was life-changing stuff for me, and a
measurable factor in my leaving home at 18 to try to be a musician and have a
band...culminating in Das Ludicroix kinda evoking that sound at Strange Daze
last summer. ('culminating' in the sense of my 'relationship' w/HW, not my
=koff= musical 'career')

it's not possible to experience contemporary HW like i did when i was a teenag
er. the best of it i 'understand' in a different way now, because i more or
less understand what they're doing technically in order to sound they way
they have..
i am no longer 'mystified'.

way back when, "astounding sounds" was a huge disappointment to me. and i
stopped following them altogether when simon king left. i'd take note of
their continued existense in the newspaper. i didnt hear most of the '80s
stuff until i 'came back' in '91.  while i know a lot of people here revere
"live chronicles", (ducking), in the late '80s i bought the cassette, played
one side, and gave it away. sorry.

i was very pleased when brock took over lead guitar again. 'electric teepee'
and 'business of the future'  were pretty cool. give 'em credit for this
almost-contemporary current sound if you like, but....actually i dont mind
that capt rizz 'toasting' stuff in its more familiar context, but in HW i
cannot-stand-it. i like the new 2nd guitarist, dont have much use for ron
tree though. sorry.

blah blah blah....
i suppose other folks in other fields have moments of nostalgia for the days
before the 'process' which once enthralled them had been 'demystified'. i
dont mean it in a rueful way; but being part of the 'process' yourself is not
the same as being enthralled by it. ideally one passes on the feeling that
moved them in the first place.