HW: Recent v Old / Poll

Andreas Stuewe Andreas.Stuewe at T-ONLINE.DE
Sun Nov 21 08:22:00 EST 1999

Bernhard Pospiech schrieb:

> >1981 - 1982
> The 1980 sound continues but is going harder and faster. I like Martin
> Griffins powerfull drumplaying. Highlight is the Rainbow gig on 18.12.1981
> Unfortunately Nik Turner returns in mid 1982 and is starting Hawkwinds
> musically descent!!!!

Powerful drumplaying? He played like a robot, always the same tempo.

> >1983 - 1984
> Hawkwinds bad years with chaotic gigs, no ideas and a punky images. Main
> responsible person: Nik Turner

He was much better in 84. And with Dead Fred on synths and violin they were
pretty good. And fun they had on stage. Clive Deamer was a great drummer again,
sadly he got replaced by the worst HW drummer ever...

> >1985
> Nik Turner's sacked and the spaceship Hawkwind is rising again.

Though I think the Chronicle album would have been much better with Nik. He wrote
some songs for the records which I´d love to hear some day.

> Phantastic show in Nov/Dec and a phantastic LIVE CHRONICALS.
> Huw Lloyd langton at his best

All shows were the same then, no place for improvisations or longer tracks.

> >1988
> Great April and December 1988 tour with very good sound. Hawkwind back on
> course!

The arrival of Chadwick was the turning point!

> >1989
> Hawkwinds top year. Unfortunately Huw did not want to serve on the starship
> Hawkwind anymore but another old member returns and is bringing a fresh sound.
> 3 phantastic tours this year with HW's some of the best gigs they have ever
> done during the US tour and later the year in the UK

I totally agree. Simon House is/was the best musician ever in HW. And the 89 gigs
were their spaciest gigs - just perfect space rock. 10 years later they captured
the same spirit again in Milton Keynes.

> >1990
> HW continues playing exceptional gigs (25.01.90 and later the year at some
> festivals). A good tour in autumn without Simon House but a female voice
> (Bridget Wishart). One highlight she brought to the band awas the STAR SONG
> and of course BACK IN THE BOX

A female voice was indeed something different. And Bridgett wasn´t that bad.

> >1992
> Phantastic tour in May as a trio. Powerfull with new material.
> Highpoint was SECRET AGENT

No, it was LSD (or: My trouser´s are tripping, as Alan introduced this song in
91)

> >1993
> The 1992 story coninues

But with more and more pre-programmed and sequenced stuff which again leaves not
much place for improvisation.

> >1995
> Ron Tree appears. A mixture of Robert Calvert and Nik Turner
> Good USA spring tour. Interesting sound
> later the year Alien tour which brings some highlights

Ron Bastard wasn´t bad at the start because he didn´t play bass then.

> >1996
> Ron is getting more and more over the top
> No new musically ideas

And Alan left just when he reached his highest point, sadly.

> >1997
> One of the longest HW tour in their history is marked with cancelled gigs.
> The gigs are OK but no real highlights. Ron is still dominating

And together with Rizz he is ruining most of the stuff.

> >1998
> Need I say more ?

The black hole year in HW´s history.

> >1999
> Its time for Ron to leave the band I think. He does not fit anymore to the
> sound.
> The mini tour in November is good but no real musically development
>
> The main core is still DAVE BROCK and RICHARD CHADWICK. With jerry Richards
> and Simon House, Dave should build up a new HAWKWIND !!!

Harvey should join them too so that we would have our favourite 89 line-up again,
Bernhard! Well, apart from the bass-gnome.

Andreas