HW/OFF: "musicians made drug use look tempting?" ^_~ =koff=

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Nov 22 12:15:10 EST 1999

> From:          DASLUD at AOL.COM
> Study Finds Teens Drug Use Leveling Off
>
> By LARRY McSHANE
> .c The Associated Press
>
> NEW YORK (Nov. 22) - The latest survey from the Partnership for a Drug-Free
> America

Ah, well, then we all know there isn't a hint of bias or exaggeration
in THEIR findings.  Wonder how many folks that belong to the
Partnership drink alcohol, coffee, smoke cigs, etc?  Wonder how many
of 'em take prozac [probably a lot, eh?] valium etc...

finds that drug use among teen-agers' is leveling off, with more
> teens rejecting the notion that drugs are cool.

And one Theo Jackson reports that belief in Santa Claus and the
Easter Bunny is currently at an all-time high...

> ``This trend means we have to keep up our efforts,'' said Barry McCaffrey,
> director of the White House drug control policy office. ``The teen-age notion
> that everyone is doing drugs and that there must be something wrong with me
> has to be dispelled.''

Read this carefully!

> The 12th annual survey, released today, shows that 40 percent of teens
> questioned felt ``really cool'' kids did not use drugs. By comparison, 35
> percent of those surveyed in 1998 agreed with that statement, indicating more
> kids are turned off by drugs now than before.

Or they're simply hip enough to goof on the survey takers...

> Among 13- to 15-year-olds, 8 percent believed marijuana smokers were popular,
> down from 13 percent last year and 17 percent in 1997, the survey found.
>
> The survey found other evidence that the role of drugs in teen culture was
> dissipating:
>
> Thirty-five percent of teens felt that ``most people will try marijuana
> sometime,'' down from 40 percent a year ago.
>
> The number of teens agreeing with the statement ``it seems like marijuana is
> everywhere these days'' dropped to 48 percent this year, down from 52 percent
> last year and 59 percent in 1997.

What's all this mention of weed.  I thought they were talking about
drugs?

> While 48 percent of teens last year felt musicians made drug use look
> tempting, that figure was down to 42 percent this year.
>
> Trial use of marijuana, inhalants, methamphetamine, LSD, cocaine and crack
> were all down. The dropoff in cocaine and crack trial use was the first since
> 1993.

Good!  Means there's more for the 'rest' of us...

> ``The tide appears to be turning,'' said Partnership chairman James E. Burke.
> ``Across the board ... teen-agers are disassociating drugs from critically
> important badges of teen identity.''
>
> But Burke said the war against drugs was far from over: ``It's too early to
> declare a major turnaround in drug-related attitudes and drug use.''

Funny, I get at least one book in here a week that says drug use is
at an all-time 'high...'

> The Partnership for a Drug-Free America, launched in 1987, is a non-profit
> coalition of communications industry professionals aimed at reducing the
> demand for illegal drugs.

So I guess that means that none of them get a salary, right?

theo