OFF : Tangerine Dream

Mon Nov 22 13:44:49 EST 1999

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, M Holmes wrote:

> What he said except that I'd add that the albums "Ricochet" and
> "Stratosfear" which marked their switch from the atmospheric to the
> melodic albums are truly amazing. After that highlights are "Cyclone",
> the indispensable "Force Majeure" (play that loud and I defy you not to
> do it again immediately) "Encore", "Logos" and "White Eagle". I'd concur
> that from the second Froese got his kids into the band in 1989 there's
> been nothing but new age fusion and some middling film scores or
> compilations. I've been told that they've come back to their old style
> recently and I'd give 'em another try if someone knowledgeable would
> recommend an album - I used to go to TD gigs in the same way I did
> Hawkwind gigs and I've kinda missed 'em. I did hear "Goblin's Club" which
> showed some promise.

        I don't know about _Goblin's Club_ or its successor _Tyranny of
Beauty_ but I do know that what followed that was a live album called
_Tournado_ which had actual songs on it, as in live renditions of album
pieces. Which, in the light of _Ricochet_ or even _Live Miles_, struck me
as all I needed not to bother to keep track of them any more. I was
vaguely tempted by their 1997 gig in London when I had more money than I
do now, but it was four days before Hawkwind and I found out about
_Tournado_ the same week and it didn't seem so essential. Yours,
                                                                 Jon