HW: Recent v Old / Poll

Mon Nov 22 15:20:29 EST 1999

At 10.44 -0600 99-11-22, Stephan Spiegel wrote:
>>When I joined this group, I was under the mistaken impression it was for HW
>>fans, rather than critics who live in some 1970's saddo timewarp (yes - I
>am
>>over 40).

Well, I'm under 30, only heard of the band in about 1992 and like the early
70s stuff best *anyway* (though I like the early 90s stuff too). If I'm
living in a timewarp, fetch me my diapers :)

>>More power to the Captain.  Well done for giving Bridgett a go.

I liked Images. I don't mind some versions of Back in the Box. The swimming
costume and random mummy stuff on the Nottingham vid is heinous, though!

>>Ron Tree was an excellent development for the band.

I like Ron, though not as much as a bass player as I liked Alan. I hoped a
front man would allow Dave on concentrate on playing lots of loud guitar.
Alas!

>>Rizz is another
>>EXCELLENT venture into new styles.

On this I just can't agree :)

>>Go for it.  I am looking forward to the
>>next development, not harking back to Nostradamus's younger days.  HW is a
>>band for now and the future.

Sure. But I don't think all new developments are good developments--nor
that developments are good just because they are new. I'm a fan, but a
critical one :) I like Hawkwind, and like them best when the play the kind
of music I like (which they often have).

Perhaps the band would feel better if everyone liked everything no matter
what. Perhaps the band would feel better to know what people like and what
they don't. I don't know what the band would like, but I know what _I_
would like and that's what a discussion group is about, IMO.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson