HW: Recent v Old / Poll

Mon Nov 22 16:53:01 EST 1999

At 20.28 +0000 99-11-22, Kevin Perry wrote:
>Dave (of course), Alan, Richard (not just the best drummer HW have ever had,
>but possibly one of the best drummers around - period)

To assemble my ideal line-up which doesn't seem wholly impractical (ie. a
reconstituted SR lineup, reunion gig rumors not withstanding), I'd place
those three at the core and then add Simon House and Del Dettmar. All the
early 90s power trio lineup needed was dedicated people for twiddly noises
(to keep Alan and Dave focused on bass and guitar) and House's violin adds
excellent colour as an alternative lead instrument.

All done :)

>Notwithstanding the above, favourite era has to be Electric Teepee - I
>caught the trio in Brighton on the second day of the tour and my friend and
>I looked at one another and said 'oh no - only 3 of them' - thinking it
>wasn't going to be too good.  They opened with Right to Decide and within
>about 30 seconds, we were blown away - on the album, that, LSD, Secret
>Agent, Mask of the Morning and Sadness Runs Deep were just so good.

Amen.

>Space Bandits is another under-rated album: the tour was very good too (saw
>that one in Croydon almost 9 years to the day before the recent gig) - I
>liked Bridget and Images is still one of my favourite tracks.

Images is great but I don't like the rest of Space Bandits so much.
However, I think Out of the Shadows _live_ was utterly stonking, and the
recent Bedouin version of Wings was much improved.

>Alien 4 would have been better had it not been for Ron: Sputnik Stan is a
>great song, and the bass solo Alan plays just shows how good a bassist he
>actually is.  On the album, Ron isn't too bad, but live he just amateur-ises
>the whole thing - if I've paid good money to see them, I want to see a
>professional show!

Actually, I thought Ron was weak on Alien 4 and better (if variable) live.
Sputnik Stan was tremendous, and the Bedouin version really made it rip and
roar.

>Oh, and I don't dislike Riz - for the odd song (eg. Brainstorm), I like what
>he does - it's just his lyrics that seem childish.

I still have yet to find a better reaction to Cap'n Riz than "Ooo, er ..."
I'm sure he'd be good at something, I'm just doubtful that that something
is Hawkwind.

Cheers,
Carl

--