HW/OFF: "musicians made drug use look tempting?" ^_~ =koff=

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Tue Nov 23 19:58:33 EST 1999

At 18:35 22.11.1999 GMT, Mike wrote:
>Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 writes:
>
>> Ah, well, then we all know there isn't a hint of bias or exaggeration
>> in THEIR findings.  Wonder how many folks that belong to the
>> Partnership drink alcohol, coffee, smoke cigs, etc?  Wonder how many
>> of 'em take prozac [probably a lot, eh?] valium etc...
>
>I also saw on libernet today that a Colorado School District wants to
>limit the prescription of psychoactive drugs such as prozac and ritalin
>to students. This is a result of the discovery that in almost all recent
>school shootings, at least one of the perpetrators has been taking such
>drugs.

In the computer biz these days we use something called "Root Cause
Analysis", which really comes down to common sense and a bit of Occam's
razor - while there are certainly some severe question marks about
over-prescription and inappropriate prescription of such drugs (and their
side-effects), maybe the underlying cause is more to do with why the kids
are medicated in the first case i.e. the kids with the problems are more
likely to "act out", and (I know from personal experience) the medication
is not always palliative, especially if the dosing regime is disturbed.

ChrisW

"a cynic is a man who when he smells flowers looks around for a coffin" -
Bierce