HW: Recent v Old / Poll

Dave Berry daveb at TARDIS.ED.AC.UK
Wed Nov 24 17:25:01 EST 1999

At 15:15 21/11/99 , Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
>        I think Calvert and Lemmy are Ron's twin downfalls. He has had to
>try and fill both their shoes at once and he has come across at every gig
>I've seen him at since he picked up the bass as being unsure of himself.

I've been playing "In Your Area" a lot over the last couple of days, and not only do I like the album, but Ron's bass playing seems pretty good.  I don't think he's *as* good as Lemmy or Alan, but I do think he's decent.  I remember on the 1997 tour, several people posted here saying "Ron can play bass!".

Jon makes a good point though -- when Ron was just the front man, he threw himself into it completely.  It's kind of hard to do that so much when you're also playing bass.

>He is actually playing
>some damn good bass these days it seems to me, but all the crowd wants is
>Lemmy or Alan.

I guess that just comes with the band's long and varied history.  There are so many good memories, it's only natural to try and recapture them.  And of course you can't; you can only go forward.

I'm beginning to think that I'd rather see the current line-up concentrate on producing an album of new material and a tour, rather than chasing the goal of reunion gigs.  There is some good stuff on IYA; there just isn't enough of it.

Dave.
Dave Berry,  www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~daveb