HW: Recent v Old / Poll

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Nov 29 21:22:37 EST 1999

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 21:03:25 -0500, Carl Edlund Anderson
<cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK> wrote:
>At 22.25 +0000 99-11-24, Dave Berry wrote:
>>I'm beginning to think that I'd rather see the current line-up
>>concentrate on producing an album of new material and a tour, rather
>>than chasing the goal of reunion gigs.  There is some good stuff on IYA;
>>there just isn't enough of it.
>
>Agreed! Each Hawkwind version has a "voice" and the current line-up hasn't
>found theirs yet, it seems to me. I like some voices better than others,
>but any Hawkwind voice is better than none at all.

I think we all agree that the current lineup is pretty darn good, but I
don't entirely agree with Carl's assessment - I think the current lineup
*has* found it's voice, it's just that (as Dave sorta says), it isn't
always used.  Songs like "Wheels", "Reptoid Vision" and "Hippy" are as
classic Hawkwind as any of their best stuff from the last 20 years
("Motorway City", "Night of the Hawk", "Right To Decide", add your own
favorite ... ) IMO.  Granted, I'd love to hear a new album *full* of songs
of that quality, but I don't expect 100% perfection on any album by any
band.  The batting averages on DH and IYA are perfectly fine by me, and I'm
as eagerly awaiting any album of new material as Dave is.  (Having said all
that, I'll admit that I'm one of those 'time-warped' characters who still
likes the 70's material best.)

BTW what's up with IitBotFtbD being so many peoples' most-listened album?
That's gotta be up there with 'Church of Hawkwind' as one of my
least-listened.  Then again, I may just be prejudiced over the fact that
the guitar doesn't come in until half way through side 2!  (Did I already
mention that one of my favorite things about the HW fans on boc-l is the
incredibly wide range of opinions regarding our favorite band?)

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com