OFF: Live...With a Little Help From Our Friends: Collector's Edition

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Nov 30 14:55:27 EST 1999

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Marshall Wood wrote:

=> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:45:43   Paul Mather wrote:
=> >NP: Gov't Mule, _Live...With a Little Help From Our Friends: Collector's Edition_
=>
=> Huh, "Collector's Edition"?  What's that got that my plain old vanilla edition doesn't have?

How about two extra CDs?? ;-)

The Collector's Edition is a 4CD set, recently released by Capricorn,
which contains the *entire* New Year's Eve gig, "highlights" of which
appear on the 2CD set.  Total running time of the set is a tad over 4
hours!  Plus, there's a bonus studio outtake of "Pygmy Twylyte" +
various multimedia offerings (digital video, interviews, etc. which I've
not had a chance to look at yet) at the end of disc 4.

The amusing thing about this gig is that they ran out of tape in the
recording truck (they didn't expect the Mule would play so long!), and
so various bits have been spliced in from audience recordings and the
live mix made on the night.  (That explains some of the omissions from
the "highlights" 2CD set, e.g. "Gambler's Roll" for starters!!)
They've put in a lot of effort.  The sound quality is GREAT!  The music
is even better!!

Here's what's not on the 2CD set: Wandering Child [7:45]; (No Need To)
Suffer [8:12]; The Hunter [8:34]; Gambler's Roll [13:46]; 32-20 Blues
[9:36]; I Shall Return [9:36]; Spanish Moon [20:10]; Third Stone From
The Sun [16:57].  It also comes with a free _Dose_ mandala patch, and
the packaging has a nice booklet with lots of pics from the gig and
liner notes for each song by Warren Haynes.

I understand that this is a limited edition (hence the title).  I got
mine from CDNow with a $20 off coupon.  (See http://cdshopper.cjb.net/
for current online CD shop coupon deals.  E.g., CDNow has a $15 off
coupon valid until Dec 1st, and BUY.COM has a $20 off coupon for *new*
customers valid until Dec 20th.)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu